> Hi folks,
>
> I can't seem to get anywhere with searching for a proper
> keyboard-video-mouse switch between my main PC running Win98 and my
> web server running Linux (Red Hat 7.0, if that makes any difference).

Pretty much any switch will work with a Wintel system.  The problem
then becomes finding one that will work well with Linux.

To get a good idea of what switches will work with Linux, go to
http://www.red.hat.com .  Select the Advanced Search, then type in
"KVM" in the search box.  Select "All Linux Sites" for the search.
About 60 results will pop up.  Some of these will be useful.

> Will any KVM switch do? Or do I have to make sure that the selected
> one works with Linux? A lot of these smart switches are pretty
> OS-dependent, but I can't find anything re. Linux.

The best way to determine if something works with Linux is to look at
Linux information sources.

> Appreciate any lead you all can come up with. Personal
> experience/recommendation is even better.

I use a Belkin Omni-Cube.  Works fine with RedHat 6.2, Win98 and NT,
although I've seen in one of the RedHat USENET groups that someone
has had trouble with having the devices hang when switching between
computers.  The Linksys is known to work with Linux systems.

One thing to look out for is video signal degradation.  Although most
of the switch manufacturers claim that the video switch can handle
1600 x 1200, the first switch that I tried lost so much of the
brightness that the screen was unreadable.  Even the Omni-Cube drops
a little signal strength.