I tired of thinking about this. It's been 13 hours, and I am STUCK! I am in
the middle of a writing project and I have come to a sentence that I MUST
use, but I know there is a coloquialism or other word phrase that can back up
the sentence.  What I'm looking for is the word or word phrase that could
mean the same as "a method or way of separating a group into two polar
opposite sections."

Examples:
(1) You divide a restaurant into smoking and non-smoking sections.

Here's a smidgeon of the paragraph in which it's used:

"... Plus, it throws people off -- she likes that. Just when you think you
have her strokes figured out, she produces a wake that drowns the waders. She
uses her tactics to separate the dog-paddlers from the

What common analogy is used to replace this, or used in conjunction with
this?!?
UGHHHHHHHHHHH!