I like this idea too. However, I suspect it will be hard to get MW to
ignore {{{#n}}} just for the purposes of SMW.

Is there a cleaner way to 'inline' a format template in the query?

I totally agree that creating two or three templates for one ask query
is the main reason that template format is a pain.

Cheers,
Dan.