Keep it concise: <section>.

One of the design goals for subobjects is that, semantically, a subobject
is equivalent to a separate page, while textually it is embedded into an
existing page.  So the idea here is to declare that a section of your page
counts as a separate page for semantic purposes.

Again, though, the question is "how hard would it be to code this?"
Problems that I see involve: figuring out what to replace each Property
with (or at least figuring out how to get the parser to attach the
Property's semantics to the section instead of the page), what to do with
attempts to write nested sections (subobjects don't have the ability to
include other subobjects within them; is there a simple way to tell the
parser to reject nested <section> tags?), and whether the code can be kept
both robust and lightweight.

On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 8:06 AM, Yaron Koren <ya...@wikiworks.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Oops, never mind - I just re-read the original email, and realized that
> your proposed <subpage> tag has nothing to do with MediaWiki subpages
> (i.e., pages of the form "A/B"). So actually, your proposed syntax might be
> nice; though I would recommend to change the name of the tag. :) Maybe
> <section> or <subsection> instead?
>
> -Yaron
>

> On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 11:03 AM, Yaron Koren <ya...@wikiworks.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Jon,
>>
>> Unless I'm missing something, I don't see much benefit to having this. If
>> the data is on another page (whether it's a subpage or not), you can
>> already query its data in the same way that you would query a subobject's
>> (or internal object's) data. The only benefit I see for this is that it
>> would define a semantic linkage between the subpage and the main page.
>> Which could be useful; but on the other hand, if the subpage contains a
>> template, you could do that automatically via that template as well.
>>
>> -Yaron
>>
>> On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 8:12 AM, Jon Lang <datawea...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> How hard would it be to write a lightweight <subpage> tag that scans
>>> its contents for properties, extracts them, and appends a
>>> {{#subobject}}built out of the properties that it found?  For
>>> example:
>>>
>>> <subpage name="Forrest Gump">
>>> [[given::Forrest]] [[surname::Gump]] is the [[title::Shrimp Man]] of
>>> [[org::Bubba Gump Shrimp Co.]]
>>> </subpage>
>>>
>>> would become something like:
>>>
>>> Forrest Gump is the [[Shrimp Man]] of [[Bubba Gump Shrimp Co.]]
>>>  {{#subobject:Forrest Gump|given=Forrest|surname=Gump|title=Shrimp
>>> Gump Shrimp Co.}}
>>>
>>> I suspect that <subpage> would be at least as popular as {{#subobject}}as a
>>> way of adding SIO-like semantics to a page.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Jonathan "Dataweaver" Lang

>> --
>> WikiWorks · MediaWiki Consulting · http://wikiworks.com