You may want to wait until WMF selects a search solution:
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Search

That way people won't have to set up Solr & whatever else is selected, if it's
not
Solr. (I'm hoping for ElasticSearch, which is also based on Lucene and is
currently a little easier to manage, though they're both quite simple these
days).

The addition of decent search for MW/SMW will be very much welcome, as would
interactive faceted search. I would be able to help with front end (Javascript)
work on this. I've already written custom facetted search for MW using Solr.
But ideally it will work with existing Semantic Result Formats without hacks.

David