Hi everyone,

The Google Summer of Code process has already begun. SMW projects will once
again be done via the Wikimedia Foundation (that is, we're not trying to
apply separately, unlike in some previous years). This year the GSoC
schedule is earlier than I think it's ever been - the list of accepted
organizations will be announced on February 24, which is also when students
will start applying for projects:

https://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/events/google/gsoc2014

That's only two weeks away. So if you're thinking of trying to mentor a
GSoC project, this is a good time to get involved. Here's where project
ideas should go:

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code_2014#Semantic_MediaWiki

I already added mine to the list. If you're looking for some inspiration,
here's the set of SMW-related GSoC ideas people came up with last year:

http://semantic-mediawiki.org/wiki/GSoC_2013

I think about half of these have actually been done already, which is a
good sign.

By the way, this applies to non-semantic functionality as well - if you
want to improve, say, an ad-display extension, that would be great also,
and I think the WMF would be happy to take any such projects.

-Yaron