Thanks Martin for your thoughtful reply.
I agree completely that an IDE for SMW would be measurably useful to developers and editors (eschewing the term 'user' here, per standard MW definition that a user is someone with 'read' privledge on a wiki, not necessarily 'edit' privledge) for obvious reasons: faster, better, cheaper. But let's also note that by focusing our development efforts on SMW's core mission -- semantic queries, in large part -- then we strengthen the long-term business case for SMW itself.

SMW Ontologies /is/ an IDE (I will use these magic words in the future!). From Wikipedia, an "IDE normally consists of a (1) source code editor (2) build automation tools and (3) a debugger. Most modern IDEs have (4) intelligent code completion .... Some IDEs contain a (5) compiler, interpreter, or both ... (6) a version control system and (7) various tools are integrated to simplify the construction of a Graphical User Interface. Many modern IDEs also have (8) a class browser, (9) an object browser, and (10) a class hierarchy diagram, for use in object-oriented software development." [footnote 1]

Let's compare this definition of an IDE to what I propose.

1. source code editor -- a 'smart textarea' is proposed to enter
   template calls for storing semantic triples
2. build tools -- not needed in interpreted environs like PHP,
   Javascript, Parsoid and template-script
3. debugger --templates and php code have a debug mode of output,
   storing validation errors on a page
4. intelligent code completion -- the smart textarea would have this
   for property values & facets selection
5. interpreter -- not an initial focus, though I envision a
   topic-map-syntax interpreter at a later time
6. version control -- achieved per namespace prefixes -- eg owl: vs
   owl2: -- a central idea of proposal
7. GUI builder tools -- data retrieval/formatting templates are parts
   of this proposal, plus infoboxes
8. class browser -- this is the OntologyBrowser I mentioned
9. object browser -- this is the OntologyBrowser I mentioned
10. class hierarchy -- this is the sum total of the numerous ontologies
   I indicated are to be installable

I want to see more than the dozen or so properties now (pitifully) built-in to SMW; I insist on a full dictionary. I want to make life alot easier for people crafting (semantic) applications using SEMANTIC MediaWiki.

Hopefully my comparison clarifies that I also want to see an IDE come of this.

thanks/john

[footnote 1] source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integrated_development_environment - i've added enumerators to the quote