“Dr. Luke’s Rx”
Feast of St. Luke, Evangelist
2 Timothy 4:5-18
October 18, 2009

 IN NOMINE JESU

We interrupt this post-Pentecost season to bring you this minor
festival.  Today we take a pause from the green that has adorned our
chancel for the past few months, and we shift our attention, perhaps
too briefly, to the red, on the blessed evangelist St. Luke, the
author of the Third Gospel, bearing his name, as well as the Acts of
the Apostles.  His feast day came late to the Western church, in the
tenth century, late in comparison to the fixing of dates of the feasts
of the apostles and other evangelists.  Today is the date the Church
has set aside to remember St. Luke and to thank God for sending His
Holy Spirit to inspire him to write so much of the New Testament, over
one third of it.  It is not too often that we celebrate a minor
festival, remembering one of the saints.  Unfortunately, such
observances are frowned upon by many in the Church, mistakenly
thinking that such remembrances are “too Catholic.”  The truth of the
matter is that honoring the saints is, in fact, catholic (small “c” as
opposed to capital “C”), meaning that such a practice is worthwhile in
the whole Christian Church.  Our Lutheran Confessions, to which we
have subscribed, support this practice.  One the basis of Scripture we
believe, teach, and confess thus:

Our Confession approves honors to the saints.  For here a threefold
honor is to be approved.  The first is thanksgiving.  For we ought to
give thanks to God because He has shown examples of mercy; because He
has shown that He wishes to save men; because He has given teachers or
other gifts to the Church.  And these gifts, as they are the greatest,
should be amplified, and the saints themselves should be praised, who
have faithfully used these gifts, just as Christ praises faithful
businessmen [Mt. 25:21, 23].  The second service is the strengthening
of our faith; when we see the denial forgiven Peter, we also are
encouraged to believe the more that grace  truly superabounds over sin
[Rom. 5:20].  The third honor is the imitation, first, of faith, then
of the other virtues, which every one should imitate according to his
calling. (Ap XXI, 4-6)

What do we know about St. Luke?  We know that he was a physician, for
St. Paul refers to him as such in his letter to the Colossians.
Unlike Paul, Luke was a Gentile…and was the only Gentile author in the
New Testament.  Luke wrote his Gospel and the book of Acts for a
Gentile audience, especially one Theolphilus, beginning his Gospel and
addressing this Theophilus:

Inasmuch as many have taken in hand to set in order a narrative of
those things which have been fulfilled among us, just as those who
from the beginning were eyewitnesses and ministers of the word
delivered them to us, it seemed good to me also, having had perfect
understanding of all things from the very first, to write to you an
orderly account, most excellent Theophilus, that you may know the
certainty of those things in which you were instructed. [Lk. 1:1-4]

And in Acts, Luke again begins by addressing Theophilus:

The former account I made, O Theophilus, of all that Jesus began both
to do and teach, until the day in which He was taken up, after He
through the Holy Spirit had given commandments to the apostles whom He
had chosen, to whom He also presented Himself alive after His
suffering by many infallible proofs, being seen by them during forty
days and speaking of the things pertaining to the kingdom of God.
[Acts 1:1-3]

In the prologue to Luke’s Gospel, he goes to great lengths to
establish that what he wrote in his Gospel was the result of much
careful research, no doubt having come from his training and education
in becoming a physician.  Such formation has borne fruit in his
writings as he explains with some detail the diseases of many who came
to the Lord for healing.  Luke accompanied Paul on the second of
Paul’s four missionary journeys and was likely with him near the end
of his third, giving Paul the occasion to write to Timothy in our text
that only Luke was with Paul.  Paul was nearing the end of his life,
knowing full well that he would soon pay the price of being a
Christian, a price that would cost him his very life.  Paul described
himself as “already being poured out as a drink offering, and the time
of my departure has come” (v. 6).  He longed for young Timothy to come
to him before Paul would be executed, for all his partners in the
Gospel had left him for one reason or another…except for Luke.  Only
Luke was with him.  Paul was confident in facing his martyrdom,
knowing “there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the
Lord, the righteous judge, will award to me on the Day, and not only
to me but also to all who have loved His appearing” (v. 8).  No doubt
one of those who have loved the Lord’s appearing was St. Luke, who in
all likelihood brought comfort and healing to Paul’s soul, reporting
to him what he learned in his research of what the Lord had said and
done in His earthly ministry, that he may know the certainty of those
things in which he was instructed by Ananias at Damascus.  Luke
remained faithful to the Lord and to His apostle Paul, likely
suffering much for Christ’s sake and for the sake of the Gospel, which
he wrote.

Here we are, almost 2,000 years later, far removed the persecution
that Paul and Luke endured.  Here we are, with nowhere nearly as much
on the line as they had, their lives in the balance.  What are we
willing to sacrifice for Christ’s sake?  What are we willing to put on
the line for the sake of the Gospel?  We are blessed that we really
haven’t had to put our money where our mouths are.  Yes, we confess
with our lips that we believe in one God, the Father Almighty, in one
Lord Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Spirit, as we will do shortly as we
will confess the Nicene Creed.  But is this what our hearts confess,
or do these words simply ring hollow in our ears?  The spirit is
willing, but the flesh is weak.  We want to be steadfast with our Lord
like Luke was with Paul, but we find ourselves more like Paul’s former
associate Demas, in love with this present world and having deserted
Him.  We hear the Word of the Lord, and we say, “Thanks be to God,”
but we sinners are more like Alexander the coppersmith in our Epistle,
who strongly opposed the message.  We too reject the message of the
cross, for we consider it foolishness, as did the Gentiles in Paul’s
day.  Anything that brings us eternal life in heaven and does not
involve any action on our part we consider foolishness; we think it’s
stupid because it does not appeal to our sinful pride.  Our sinful
nature does not want to think of a Christ who died on the cross to
take away our sins with nothing for us to contribute to our salvation.
 We cannot stand the thought that God loves us, and there’s nothing we
can do about it.  Oh, sure, we can reject the message.  We can reject
the messenger.  We reject the Messiah, and we reject our Maker.  St.
Luke records these words of our Lord just after our appointed Gospel
for today: “He who hears you hears Me, he who rejects you rejects Me,
and he who rejects Me rejects Him who sent Me” (Lk. 10:16).  Here we
are, apart from Christ, ailing and dying—in fact, dead!—in our
trespasses and sins.

But here comes the blessed physician, St. Luke, or Dr. Luke, if you
prefer, with the prescription for our spiritual health: the Gospel!
In this divine prescription he has given us what we need to live, for
he has given us the Good News that Jesus Christ has died for the
forgiveness of our sins.  Luke alone records the prayer our Lord
offered on behalf of those who nailed Him to the cross: “Father,
forgive them” (Lk. 23:34).  Fellow redeemed, that prayer is for you,
too, for it was your sins and mine that nailed Him to the cross, that
He would pay the price we richly deserve.  Luke alone records the
promise our Lord make to the criminal crucified next to him, saying,
“Assuredly, I say to you, today you will be with Me in Paradise” (Lk.
23:43).  Dear brothers and sisters in Christ, that promise is for you,
too, for He has prepared a place in heaven for all who believe in Him
and confess Him as Savior and Lord.  Luke alone records our Lord’s
last words on the cross: “Father, ‘into Your hands I commit My
spirit’” (Lk. 23:46a).  Dearly, beloved, it was for you that your Lord
bled and died, so that you would have eternal life in heaven with Him,
partaking of the marriage Feast of the Lamb in His kingdom, which
knows no end.  It was for you that our Lord went the way of the cross.
 The prophet Isaiah says in our Old Testament reading: “And a highway
shall be there, and it shall be called the Way of Holiness; the
unclean shall not pass over it.  It shall belong to those who walk on
the way; even if they are fools, they shall not go astray” (Is. 35:8),
and in the following verse: “… but the redeemed shall walk there” (Is.
35:9b).  This Way of Holiness for our Lord was the way of the cross,
where He shed His blood and died to win the forgiveness of your sins.
The Way of Holiness for you has taken you to the font, where you were
washed in the blood of the Lamb by water and the Word.  The Way of
Holiness for you has taken you to the pew, where you hear God’s
prescription for you and how He has filled it for you in His Son, our
Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.  The Way of Holiness for you takes you
to the altar, where your Lord seeks to feed you with His medicine for
your soul.  His prescription is simply this: “Take, eat; this is My
body, which is given for you.  Take, drink; this is My blood, shed for
you for the forgiveness of sins.”  How often are we to take, eat, and
drink?  He invites us ever so tenderly and says, “Do this, as often as
you drink it, in remembrance of Me.”  The Way of Holiness for us leads
us out the doors of our Lord’s house to serve Him in our vocations,
living in the love He has first shown us from the foundation of the
world.

Our Lord has done all this for you so that you would be forgiven, fed,
and the Father’s child into eternity.  He has done so out of His great
love for and His Father’s mercy on you.  One commentator has noted:

In St. Luke’s Gospel our Savior is pictured as the merciful Physician
of bodily and spiritual ills. It has, therefore, been called “the
Gospel of mercy and love.”  The beautiful passages of God’s
loving-kindness touch us deeply, for example the parables of the
prodigal son and the Good Samaritan, the account of the penitent
woman, and the good thief on the cross.  Of inestimable value are the
first two chapters on the incarnation and childhood of Jesus.  Here
Luke preserved for us the three precious canticles…the Benedictus, the
Magnificat, and the Nunc Dimittis. [Parsch]

Yes, my dear Christian friends, this Gospel according to St. Luke, as
well as the rest of the Bible, is God’s prescription for us.  When you
go to the pharmacy and get your filled prescriptions, there are
directions that tell you how much medicine to take and when to take
it.  In the Bible, that’s the Law.  If you don’t follow the Great
Physician’s orders, you will die.  But thanks be to God that the Great
Physician became our disease, rendering us cured from the sting of
sin, death, and the power of the devil!  Usually, when you follow the
doctor’s orders and take your medicine as you should, you feel better.
 In Scripture, this is the Gospel, except that we are not under
doctor’s orders, but we have been given the invitation to receive His
medicine for our souls, His body and blood, given and shed for you for
the forgiveness of sins.  Here at His Table your Lord gives you the
elixir of eternal life, His body and blood, given in, with, and under
the bread and wine.  The Lord is present in His body and blood through
these common elements to do extraordinary things.  Even as the blessed
evangelist St. Luke remained with his partner and mentor, the blessed
apostle St. Paul, here, in Word and Sacrament, the Lord be with you,
thanks be to God.  Amen.

SOLI DEO GLORIA

--
The Rev. Pr. Mark A. Schlamann, Lincoln, NE

Vacancy Pastor, Bethlehem Lutheran Church, Pleasant Dale, Nebraska

Sermons available at http://lcmssermons.com/Schlamann

Catch the NEW "Issues, Etc." at http://www.issuesetc.org

"When you are baptized, partake of Holy Communion, receive the
absolution, or listen to a sermon, heaven is open, and we hear the
voice of the Heavenly Father; all these works descend upon us from the
open heaven above us. God converses with us, provides for us; and
Christ hovers over us--but invisibly. And even though there were
clouds above us as impervious as iron or steel, obstructing our view
of heaven, this would not matter. Still we hear God speaking to us
from heaven; we call and cry to Him, and He answers us. Heaven is
open, as St. Stephen saw it open (Acts 7:55); and we hear God when He
addresses us in Baptism, in Holy Communion, in confession, and in His
Word as it proceeds from the mouth of the men who proclaim His message
to the people."--Martin Luther (1/19/1538 [LW 22:202])

 'CAT 41 Sermons & Devotions' consists of works that are, unless otherwise
  noted, the copyrighted property of the various authors; posting of such
   gives members of this list implied consent for redistribution _with_
    _attribution_ unless otherwise specified by the author, as well as
              for quoting or use in a congregational setting
                      _with_or_without_attribution_.

    Note: This list's default reply is to the *poster*, NOT the list.
    Do *not* reply to the list with your comments, but to the poster.

Subscribe?              Send ANY note to: sermons...@cat41.org