St. Luke 10:1-20

Dearly beloved,

The harvest is plentiful, but the laborers are few, but where there are
laborers, there is God’s divine love.  The church is the product of Jesus’
love.  The gospel is the account of the unfolding of the love of God.  St.
Luke’s gospel, for example, lays out for us, the history of salvation.
Jesus is born; He grows: He is baptized in the Jordan; He is tempted.  Jesus
begins to preach and heal.

 Through it all, Jesus is establishing His holiness in this sinful world.
Jesus talks just before the gospel appointed for today, by saying that there
is a cost to following Him.  “The Son of Man has nowhere to lay His head.”
This is a hint.  Jesus is God incarnate, God in the flesh.  If Jesus has
nowhere to lay His head, then you can be sure that the same situation may
befall His followers.

 Then Jesus sends out the seventy-two.  Jesus is enlarging the apostolic
task given to the twelve.  Jesus is also setting the pattern for the
apostolic ministry.  In the gospels, the twelve and the seventy-two become
patterns which lay the foundation for the pastoral ministry.

 Jesus says that He sends out the seventy-two “as lambs in the midst of
wolves.”  They go bearing something special.  They go bearing the word of
peace.  They go with the preaching of the kingdom of God in Jesus.  They go
as God’s men to bring blessings to the world.  The seventy-two go bringing
new life to a dying world.  These apostles were instructed to tell those who
receive them and those who reject them that “the kingdom of God has come
near to you.”  This is the statement of God’s everlasting love for mankind.
Through these apostolic proclamations, we find that God uses men to preach
divine mysteries, revealing the love and will of God for our lives.

 The pastoral office, as I said, springs from this and is patterned after
it.  The pastor is ordained and set aside by God to do just as the
seventy-two had done.  The healing that is done, however, is of a spiritual
nature.  The healing that the pastor does is brought forth in confession and
absolution.  The preaching of peace that is done is the preaching of Jesus
Christ crucified:  It is the preaching of the cross.  St. Paul points this
out in Galatians 6 when he says, “But far be it from me to boast except in
the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by which the world has been crucified to
me, and I to the world”(Galatians 6:14).

 God setting aside a man and having him ordained for the spiritual
upbringing of the church is more than just a human arrangement.  It is God’s
arrangement for the comfort of the Lord’s church.  If we look at how God
works, we see a pattern.  God wanted to reconcile the world and be in
fellowship with His creation, so what does He do? God takes on flesh.  He
becomes like one of us in order to take our sins upon Himself.  Then, God
takes the most basic elements in this world and attaches His mercy and
forgiveness to them--Jesus takes water and institutes Holy Baptism.  Jesus
takes bread and the fruit of the vine and institutes the Eucharist, or,
Lord’s Supper.

 Jesus even locates preaching and teaching by using a sinful man, like
myself.  When a man is ordained, God sends Him out.  And we hear a couple of
different times that when those in the apostolic and pastoral office forgive
sins on earth, it is also done in heaven.  We hear Jesus say it of the
seventy-two as well.  “The one who hears you, hears me, and the one who
rejects you rejects me, and the one who rejects me rejects him who sent
me”(St. Luke 10:16).  Jesus is showing that He gives authority and a lot of
responsibility to the man who is given holy orders.

 It is no glory road, as Jesus reminds the seventy-two.  The seventy-two
were rejoicing that even the demons were subject to them in the Lord’s name,
and Jesus responded, “I saw Satan fall like lightning from heaven.”  Then
Jesus says something of great import that all pastors are to take heed to--
“Behold, I have given you authority to tread on serpents and scorpions, and
over all the power of the enemy, and nothing shall hurt you.  Nevertheless,
do not rejoice in this, that the spirits are subject to you, but rejoice
that your names are written in heaven.”

 There are two things to think about in this gospel. One concerns me and the
other concerns you.  The thing that concerns me is that I am spiritually
responsible to God for you.  I must someday answer for the way I have
shepherded you.  I have also been entrusted with the gospel and the
sacraments, as well as the office of the keys.  It is not about me.  It is
about Jesus.  This brings me to you.

 Your souls and your spirits--you flesh and blood people--are God’s creation
and children.  I am here for your spiritual well-being.  We think about how
technical the human body is and the important work that surgeons do.  Think
about the dynamics of your souls.  You have sins.  Your sinful nature causes
you to stumble.  You are continually tripped up by the things of the world.

 How do you handle it? Do you pretend it is not there? Do you even see your
sins? Many sins go undetected and cause the person a whole host of
problems.  It is sort of like a human illness, only the spiritual illness of
sin may cause you to slowly die spiritually.  What is the anti-dote? The
gospel, to be sure.  It is the preaching of Jesus that causes Satan to fall
like lightning from heaven, because the cross of Jesus is poured into that
gospel.  From there, the pastor goes forth bearing this gospel, bringing it
into the lives of the people, much like the seventy-two.

The pastor comes to speak to God’s people to help them in time of need--to
point out sins in order to help you along the way.  The pastor is here to
guide and direct, teaching you of the way of Jesus and giving you spiritual
refreshment through preaching of Jesus.  The German Lutherans had a name for
the pastor--Seelsorger, “a carer of souls.”  The Seelsorger is God’s way of
locating the gospel in the lives of the people.  He enters the world of sin,
the world of sadness, the world of difficulty and, like the seventy-two, he
enters saying “peace be to this house.”  The word of God enters your lives
in order to bring aid and peace, not a worldly peace, but a peace that
surpasses all understanding.

 Jesus was incarnate and took on flesh to bring salvation from His cross.
Jesus enters the lives of sinners in order to show them a new way.  Jesus
still enters your lives today through office of the holy ministry.  Jesus
uses ordained men as vehicles to pronounce to you forgiveness for all of
your sins.  I am here for your benefit.  I am here to love you, to care for
your souls, to lead you to Jesus and to walk with you until you breathe your
last breath at which point Jesus takes your hand from the other side.  The
gospel is in your midst.....Satan falls like lightning from heaven.  Amen.

--
Rev. Chad Kendall
Trinity Lutheran Church