Intro
It sure looks as if our Lord doesn’t like large crowds following Him.  In the
Gospel reading for today, Jesus may even be at the height of His success, as we
measure it.  Never had He enjoyed such large crowds.  People flocked to
Him--and the numbers just grew larger and larger as He got closer to Jerusalem.
 Yet, Jesus has to ruin it by telling the people a bunch of hard truths they
can’t stomach.

If we were there to advise Jesus, we’d probably tell Him, “Come on, Jesus!
Don’t you care about all those people following you?  Soft peddle it; tell them
what they want, so they will keep following you.”

Main Body
But that’s not Jesus.  He never compromises the truth, for that would be
compromising Himself, the One who is Truth.  Jesus says, “If anyone comes to me
and doesn’t hate his father, mother, wife, children, brothers, and sisters--and
yes, even his own life--he cannot be my disciple” (Luke 14:26).  “In the same
way, whoever doesn’t give up everything that he has cannot be my disciple.”
(Luke 14:33).

You can almost hear the mission department of our Synod gasping.

Jesus, come on!  That’s not the way to win a following.  You have to give the
people something they want and like.  Surely, talking like that is not the way
to get you a following.  Such talk will cause people to rebel and leave in
droves.  Jesus, we know following You involves sacrifice but, if you can, keep
those demands to a minimum.  Let those demands lie silent in the dust.  Give
the people something achievable.  Give them what they like.  Otherwise, they
will go somewhere else and listen to some other rabbi.

But that’s not Jesus.  He doesn’t want anyone to be His disciple who hasn’t
“calculated the cost.”

Remember that Jesus is on His way to Jerusalem.  He knows what awaits Him
there.  He knows that this crowd will grow to its greatest on Palm Sunday, as
He rides in triumphantly on a donkey into the city.  He knows that as the week
wears on, the crowds will begin to dwindle.  He knows that, by Friday, those
around Him will cry--not “Hosanna!”--but “Crucify Him!”  He knows, in the end,
He will be alone.  His many followers will abandon Him before the end, even His
Father.

Jesus knows all that, and so He speaks the harsh words of today’s Gospel.
Jesus wants the crowd to know what God expects of them if they are to be His
disciples.  Jesus is simply telling it like it is, using abrasive, Jewish
speech patterns to a Jewish crowd.

Jesus is using exaggeration to make His point.  Jesus is telling us to “hate,”
but not to have an emotional hate.  No, Jesus Christ, Love Incarnate, isn’t
commanding us to “hate” as we use and understand the word in English today--in
an emotional way.  He’s not commanding us to store up resentment, bitterness,
or rage against others.  Jesus isn’t using “hate” in an emotional way.

What Jesus means by “hate” is something different.  For Jesus, “hate” is not so
much a feeling, but a choice of the will.  Whom will you serve above all
others, at all times?  That’s what Jesus means!

Even so, Jesus won’t let us slide.  He won’t let us wriggle away from His
unyielding demands for an unwavering devotion to Him.  He lays out the true
cost.  Honoring your father and your mother doesn’t mean obeying them instead
of God.  Loving your children doesn’t mean letting them rebel against their
Savior.  Defending the life God has given you doesn’t mean denying Him to save
yourself.  Jesus won’t let us flinch away from these hard truths.

What Jesus demands of us is not possible.  The costs are too high, way more
than we can pay.  “Calculating the cost,” makes sense if we’re talking about
renovating our church building.  But with discipleship, it’s just flat-out
impossible.  The costs are too high.  We can’t do it.  Yet, that’s exactly what
Jesus is saying!  So we better not dance around His words or change the meaning
of what He says to us.

Jesus says, “If anyone comes to me and doesn’t hate his father, mother, wife,
children, brothers, and sisters--and yes, even his own life--he cannot be my
disciple” (Luke 14:26).  You can’t be Jesus’ disciple unless you fear, love,
and trust in God more than anything else: More than father, mother, wife,
children, brothers, sisters--and yes, even more than your own life!  If you
don’t do that, then you’ve made your family or a family member into your god.
If so, that’s means that you can’t be Jesus’ disciple.

Now God does call you to love your neighbor, to honor your father and mother,
and to love your spouse.  But you are never to put anyone above God!  There’s
no way around the hard truth that Jesus speaks.  You can’t have two masters.
You will either despise one or love the other, or you will love one, and
despise the other.  The costs are too high for us to be Jesus’ disciples.  It’s
way more than we can pay.

And just so you don’t think Jesus is speaking out of character, or having a
lousy day, He gives it a second go-around.  Jesus says, “Whoever doesn’t carry
his cross and follow me cannot be my disciple” (Luke 14:27).

What’s Jesus doing?  Does He have some crazy death wish?  Crucifixion is a
cruel and agonizing way to die.  It’s excruciatingly painful.  For the Romans,
crucifixion was both a form of terror and crime prevention.  But here, it looks
like Jesus is telling us that we have to embrace this terrifying, shame-filled
way of dying.  That’s right; that’s exactly what’s He’s saying.  If you don’t,
you’re incapable of being His disciple.

The costs are too high. They are way more than we can pay.  It’s just
impossible to do.

Yet, Jesus goes on.  He’s unrelenting.  He tells two parables to show the
impossibility of being His disciple.  The first parable involves calculating
the costs of constructing an enormous skyscraper.  If you were to do that,
wouldn’t you first sit down to find out how much money you have before you
build?  Otherwise, others may mock you for starting something you couldn’t
finish.  Think also of a king.  He’s planning for war, but then finds out he’s
outnumbered two-to-one.  Since he knows he will face certain defeat, wouldn’t
he then seek terms of peace?

You simply can’t afford what it costs to be Jesus’ disciple.  You don’t have
enough to build the building.  You don’t have enough to defeat your enemy.  You
must admit defeat.  It’s impossible.  The costs are too high.  You simply can’t
do it.

So what are you to do?  Do you throw in the towel, give up, and say, “Why even
bother?”  Do you give up on Jesus because you don’t have the capability and the
costs are too high?  Are you like the rich young ruler who wanted to be a
disciple?  When he heard what Jesus told him to do, to sell all his possessions
and give them to the poor, he gave up.

Being Jesus’ disciple IS impossible!  Believe it; get used to it.  You don’t
have the money, the ability, or the strength to build a stairway to heaven.
You don’t even have enough “hate” for the belongings of this world to love God
as you should.  That’s what Jesus wants you to learn today.  You just can’t do
it.  That’s the killing Law that Jesus teaches you, all so He can make you
alive and do what you cannot do!

Yes, there is someone who met such impossible demands: The God-man, Jesus
Christ.  In His total devotion to God the Father, He lost His brothers in the
Garden of Gethsemane.  On the cross, He handed over His mother to another son,
to the youngest Apostle, John.  For you, Jesus even hated His own life!

Your Lord Jesus even went willingly to His humiliation, suffering, and death on
the cross.  He carried His cross, for you.  Others mocked Him when He was on
the cross and ridiculed Him for starting something He couldn’t finish.  They
wagged their heads, saying, “You said You were going to destroy the Temple and
rebuild it in three days.  Save yourself!  Come down from the cross, if you are
the Son of God!” (Matthew 27:40).

What you and I cannot do, Jesus does.  From the cross, He builds His Church.
You can’t do it; I can’t do it; no one can pay what it costs, except Jesus.  He
pays the price for you.  Only He frees you, a lost and condemned creature.
Only He has acquired and won you from all sins, from death, and from the power
of the devil.

For you and me, it’s impossible.  The costs are too high, way more than we can
pay.  You and I just can’t do it.  But the Holy Spirit has called you through
the Gospel, enlightened you with His gifts, and sanctified and kept you in the
true faith.  He washes you in Jesus’ blood.  He feeds you with Jesus’ body.  He
declares, and so makes, you holy.  He does what is impossible to make you God’s
own dear child.

Conclusion
Yes, you have taken up your cross and followed Jesus.  How did this happen?
When and where did this happen?  Scripture tells us.  The Apostle Paul says in
Romans, Chapter 6:

Do you not know that all of us who have been baptized into Christ Jesus were
baptized into His death?  We were, therefore, buried with Him by baptism into
death, that, just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the
Father, so we too may begin to live a new life.  If we have been united with
Him like this in His death, we will also be united with Him in His resurrection
(Romans 6:3-5).

In baptism, you were crucified to the cross of Christ.  In baptism, you died;
you died in the death of Christ.  That’s why it’s only in Christ that you are
forgiven.  And on the Last Day, because of Jesus, God the Holy Spirit will
raise you and all the dead and will give you and all believers in Christ
eternal life.  This is most certainly true.  Amen.

 --
Rich Futrell, Pastor
Shepherd of the Hills Lutheran Church, Kimberling City, MO

Where we are to receive and confess the faith of the Church (in and with the
Augsburg Confession): The faith once delivered to the saints, the faith of
Christ Jesus, His Word of the Gospel, His full forgiveness of sins, His flesh
and blood given and poured out for us, and His gracious gift of life for body,
soul, and spirit.

 'CAT 41 Sermons & Devotions' consists of works that are, unless
 otherwise noted, the copyrighted property of the various authors;
 posting of such gives members of this list implied consent for
 redistribution _with_attribution_ unless otherwise specified by
 the author (as long as no charge is made for the work and it is
 not made part of a compilation), as well as for quoting or use
 in a congregational setting _with_or_without_attribution_.

 Note: This list's default reply is to the *poster*, NOT the list.
 Do *not* reply to the list with your comments, but to the poster.

Subscribe?              Send ANY note to: sermons...@cat41.org