*Scripture: Genesis 11:27--12:20 (NKJV)*

11:27 This is the genealogy of Terah: Terah begot Abram, Nahor, and Haran.
Haran begot Lot. 28 And Haran died before his father Terah in his native
land, in Ur of the Chaldeans. 29 Then Abram and Nahor took wives: the name
of Abram's wife was Sarai, and the name of Nahor's wife, Milcah, the
daughter of Haran the father of Milcah and the father of Iscah. 30 But
Sarai was barren; she had no child. 31 And Terah took his son Abram and his
grandson Lot, the son of Haran, and his daughter-in-law Sarai, his son
Abram's wife, and they went out with them from Ur of the Chaldeans to go to
the land of Canaan; and they came to Haran and dwelt there. 32 So the days
of Terah were two hundred and five years, and Terah died in Haran.

12:1 Now the LORD had said to Abram: "Get out of your country, from your
family and from your father's house, to a land that I will show you. 2 I
will make you a great nation; I will bless you and make your name great;
And you shall be a blessing. 3 I will bless those who bless you, and I will
curse him who curses you; And in you all the families of the earth shall be
blessed." 4 So Abram departed as the LORD had spoken to him, and Lot went
with him. And Abram was seventy-five years old when he departed from Haran.

5 Then Abram took Sarai his wife and Lot his brother's son, and all their
possessions that they had gathered, and the people whom they had acquired
in Haran, and they departed to go to the land of Canaan. So they came to
the land of Canaan. 6 Abram passed through the land to the place of
Shechem, as far as the terebinth tree of Moreh. And the Canaanites were
then in the land. 7 Then the LORD appeared to Abram and said, "To your
descendants I will give this land." And there he built an altar to the
LORD, who had appeared to him. 8 And he moved from there to the mountain
east of Bethel, and he pitched his tent with Bethel on the west and Ai on
the east; there he built an altar to the LORD and called on the name of the
LORD. 9 So Abram journeyed, going on still toward the South.

10 Now there was a famine in the land, and Abram went down to Egypt to
dwell there, for the famine was severe in the land. 11 And it came to pass,
when he was close to entering Egypt, that he said to Sarai his wife,
"Indeed I know that you are a woman of beautiful countenance. 12 Therefore
it will happen, when the Egyptians see you, that they will say, 'This is
his wife'; and they will kill me, but they will let you live. 13 Please say
you are my sister, that it may be well with me for your sake, and that I
may live because of you." 14 So it was, when Abram came into Egypt, that
the Egyptians saw the woman, that she was very beautiful. 15 The princes of
Pharaoh also saw her and commended her to Pharaoh. And the woman was taken
to Pharaoh's house. 16 He treated Abram well for her sake. He had sheep,
oxen, male donkeys, male and female servants, female donkeys, and camels.
17 But the LORD plagued Pharaoh and his house with great plagues because of
Sarai, Abram's wife. 18 And Pharaoh called Abram and said, "What is this
you have done to me? Why did you not tell me that she was your wife? 19 Why
did you say, 'She is my sister'? I might have taken her as my wife. Now
therefore, here is your wife; take her and go your way." 20 So Pharaoh
commanded his men concerning him; and they sent him away, with his wife and
all that he had.

*Devotion*

Throughout Abram's life he passed through the promised land as a foreigner,
for Abram held title to the land only by faith in the promise of God.
During his entire life he passed through the land and moved his tent from
place to place, always a landless sojourner in occupied territory because
the Canaanites dwelt in the land. Though this is true, we are told that he
built there an altar to God. So far only God had spoken. No words of
Abram's response are recorded; he walked the way of obedience in "silence."

Abram's compliance with the divine directive was not a grudging, sullen
surrender to the power of a nameless fate though. At Shechem and Bethel he
built altars in order to "call upon the name of the Lord" in prayer,
praise, and thanksgiving. Abram walked humbly with his God, in submission
through faith, all his life looking exclusively to the promise yet
unfulfilled that his offspring would possess the land of promise.

Example of faith though he was, Abram was not a hero who gathered glory by
feats of human prowess. No special physical or mental endowments of this
hero of faith are mentioned. He was big or small in the measure that he
responded to what the Lord said. His achievements exemplify what "vessels
of clay" can do when God is their hope. Likewise, his failures exemplify
what "vessels of clay" can do when God is not their hope, for God's way is
perfect. The Word of the Lord proves true; He is a shield for all those who
take refuge in Him--but without God no good thing is possible.