> This would make it possible for current mail stores to support
> subfolders without modifications, using their destinationURL
> configuration parameter.

There are no subfolders in the current stores, although maildir is pending,
so your example of:

  db://datasource/table/username/subfolder1/subfolder2/subfolderN

means that "username/subfolder1/subfolder2/subfolderN" would the key.  The
fact that it looks like a hierarchical path is just an illusion.

As I read 2060 Section 5, "interpretation of mailbox names is
implementation-dependent" except for INBOX (case-insensitive).  The RFC goes
on to say that "mailbox names MUST be left-to-right hierarchical using a
single character to separate levels of hierarchy", but leaves open the
choice of separator character, with examples including '.', '\', and '/'.
The LIST command tells the client what character is used for a separator for
that particular path.  They give an example of mapping NNTP newsgroups into
the space, and those use '.' as the separator.

        --- Noel