In my mailserver (a cousin of James) I use one java.sql.Connection throughout the life of the server. I call java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection() once at server startup. I've never suspected there was anything wrong with this, but I guess there might be.

If this is of interest to anybody, several times I have gotten "java.net.SocketException Connection reset by peer", indicating a dead connection to the database and requiring me to restart the server. This happens several hours after server startup, when I am running the mailserver in a Windows 2000 desktop and the database (PostgreSQL) in a RH7.3 Linux box on the LAN. I have found that I can work around this by running both mailserver and database on the same Linux box; then the Connection seems to last forever.

Rich Hammer

Noel J. Bergman wrote:
Do you have any reason to believe that there are legitimate
reasons for a JDBC connection to be active for several
minutes, much less an hour?

I ran grep against the logs in my production environment. There have been 32 timeouts since August 2002. Getting them tends to indicate a need to repair tables, at least in our environment.