From: Noel J. Bergman [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: donderdag 29 juli 2004 16:42
To: Avalon Developers List; 'James Developers List'
Subject: RE: Migration ... change for Thread Pool

> Are you referring to the Excalibur Thread package?

Only partially.  To quote you from about 5 minutes ago, " The cornerstone
components (in most cases) handle the adaptation between the Phoenix/Merlin
component model and the Excalibur utilities."  In this case,
ResourceLimitingThreadPool is in Excalibur, but the installable component,
ResourceLimitingThreadManger, is a Cornerstone block.

The docs for the pool are at
http://excalibur.apache.org/apidocs/org/apache/avalon/excalibur/thread/impl/
ResourceLimitingThreadPool.html, but I cannot find the active Cornerstone
docs.  For that matter, I am having trouble finding the active Cornerstone
sources.  Where are they other than in the cvs-migration-snapshot
(http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/avalon/cvs-migration-snapshot/avalon-compon
ents/cornerstone/threads/impl/src/java/org/apache/avalon/cornerstone/blocks/
threads/)?

> James MAIN HEAD is working properly against the last release
> of Excalibur Thread 2.0.0 and the corresponding Cornerstone
> Thread package.

I doubt it.  The default code doesn't implement hard limits on resource
usage, which is what we want.  So although it might appear to be working
properly, it isn't behaving as we want.

> Concerning your issues with Excalibur Thread - I guess this should be
> directed to the Excalibur Project.

Not unless they have taken over Cornerstone, too.

        --- Noel