Danny Angus wrote:
On a serious note, with a good container & IoC design the effort should
be in the application interfaces and the POJOs that implement them
rather than in the container framework being used.

Yep I agree with this.

I think James would secure itself most against the future by
developing a set of functional POJO's independant of any container.

It would then be the responsibility of those who care to assemble them
into a deployable entity for the container of their choice.

James could maintain one or more of these deployment sub-projects so
that we could always deliver a fully working solution, but we'd also
be delivering mail server functionality which could be widely embedded
and integrated into a vast range of systems.

Absolutely! Containers do not matter any more.
James-NG is just a collection of POJOs from independent projects plus a groovy scripts that glues them all together

d.