Cool, appreciated. If we did this, I'd expect we'd keep this in the same project in ASF, though a rename from James to Email might make sense. That's unchartered territories though, and I'd rather not deal with it too much if we can avoid it.

Sure. Committership/voting should be different to recognize that some folks working on mailets aren't involved in JAMES and some folks involved in JAMES aren't involved in creating the mailet specification.

Otherwise everything you said sounds good.

I have no emotional attachment to JavaMail, and it does suck as a server and performance-concerned API. Actually, it largely sucks as a client API either, but at least that's what it was trying to do. I'd love to have a better API geared towards these issues, but I'm leery of the work it would take to comply with the undocumented real-world SMTP/mime spec.

We've just added some committers to James to incoporate MIME4j (currently at http://mime4j.sourceforge.net/). Maybe we consider using that.

Absolutely, and develop the rest of the NotJavaMail APIs around it. It looks like these guys know MIME and if there are problems I'm sure we can work with them in short order. Once we get this effort off the ground we should ask them to join the Mailet2 subproject.

-Andy