> > > I believe that we should support fastfail for both
> STARTTLS and AUTH.
> >
> > Ok, but can you provide a real use case? What would you like to do
> > fast-failing there?
> > I mean that generic behaviours can be hardcoded, I want to
> know what
> > kind of fastfail you are imagining to be configurable for real.
>
> The use case is indirectly, what I would like is to have
> forinstance DATA fastfail if STARTTLS/AUTH has not been executed.
> That allows us to only accept mail securely and/or from an
> authenticated source.
> So what is needed in this case is an internal state that a
> later command can check and fastfail upon.

I think that this check should be done on the MAIL FROM or the RCPT TO and
so not directly related to the STARTTLS and AUTH.

I would add to my list:
 B2. "mail from" allowed only after AUTH/STARTTLS
 C2. "rcpt to" you can write to this recipient only when using
AUTH/STARTTLS.

Ok, 2 more use cases, good!

Stefano