> Stefano,
>
> Did you see the patch I did to SMTPHandler earlier today?  I
> haven't committed it, but it seems that our patches need to be merged.

I read the thread. The merge should be easy.
Just replaced your

responseString = "550 Rejected: unauthenticated e-mail from " + remoteIP + "
is restricted.  Contact the postmaster for details.";

With this one ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES compliant:

responseString = "550
"+DSNStatus.getStatus(DSNStatus.PERMANENT,DSNStatus.SECURITY_AUTH)+"
Rejected: unauthenticated e-mail from " + remoteIP + " is restricted.
Contact the postmaster for details.";

And moved the check a few lines later.

Just updated the patch in the JIRA issue with the merged one.

> > rewritten CRLFTerminatedReader to remove buffering
>
> Is this for pipelining?

Yes.

I've read the PIPELINING rfc: James was already "almost" compliant because
it was failing to pipeline on the DATA command (not requested to support
pipelining) but anyway I preferred to remove the Buffering in the wrapper
streamreader because we already have a buffer and this makes handling
easier. Now, with my patch, if you are sure your mail session will work you
can write all the commands in a single send.

The "real" small bug in the current implementation is that after closing the
DATA block with the "CRLF.CRLF" james would then try to handle the commands
buffered before the DATA CRLFTerminatedReader was opened.

Stefano