Alexander (and others interested in Fast-Fail),

Danny has some information on http://wiki.apache.org/james/FastFail for his
proposal.  That is one of several that have come up over the past couple of
years.  I just posted mine there, too.

Danny and I are largely in agreement on on having some form of handler for
each of several kinds of event:

   - onConnect
   - on<SMTP-COMMAND>
   - onMessage

I'm not particularly married as to how it would be done, but I do have
requirements:

  - fast
  - flexible
  - extensible
  - configurable

I didn't try to flesh out the API for mine, just the structure.  For
example, you'll find that I didn't bother to specify most parameters or
return values.  Yes, we need them, but they aren't key.  I do feel that we
should have a session object from which we get everything related to that
session: the connection, sender, authentication state, authorization state,
etc.

So far I believe that I have the structure right.  And I like that it
supports anything that would come along, such as BSF, jsieve, Alex Z's
SMTP-ACL, etc., by registering a custom handler for that technology on the
appropriate event(s), and yet should be (relatively) easy to configure.

        --- Noel