They should be. The rules are simple:
1) Don't break any current stores if at all possible
2) Support hierarchical stores and all the required methods on them (delete
& rename)
3) Add attributes to users so we can store mailbox subscriptions.

I have done 3, but not committed it yet.
2 is in progress. At the moment I can show the contents of an existing
mailbox as POP3 or IMAP as long as it is a file:// based store. You can't do
much else. As far as a timeframe goes, who knows.

If you want to help/make comments then I suggest you *really* understand how
James stores mail.