I don't think that the current James trunk is ready to be feature freezed.

Imho there are many features that should be changed before adding them to the final 2.3.0 release.

I think that the current trunk is almost ready for an alpha 2 release. I just closed or temporarily resolved the known show-stoppers and the current trunk should be better than alpha 1, overall.

Now we have 2 minor patches waiting to be included in alpha2 (via JIRA) but I think we can test the current code and make an alpha2 release as soon as possible, and then move again forward.

We could schedule the next release for the end of the next week or at last mid may: can you take care of the release? (we should remember to tag the code we release, this time) I think we could even skip the vote if we don't make the release "official" but only a test build like we did for alpha1, am I right?

In current alpha2 we have 9 improvements, 4 features, and 13 bug fixes (an half only affecting the new code, the other half affecting 2.3.0a1 and also older code).

I'm not aware of new bugs introduced after 2.3.0a1 and unresolved.

About the stability issue I think we talked about this in past: if we want to feature freeze we should branch. I currently prefer to keep releasing alphas and introducing minor features instead of feature freezing.

Stefano

Noel J. Bergman wrote:
Stefano,

As much as I would like to see changes in the current FF code, I really urge
that we focus on making the current trunk stable and releasable, and then
add improved functionality after the release.  If we keep adding rather than
consolidating, we'll never get a release done.