Noel J. Bergman wrote:
I thought we should at least merge the xdocs folder in the trunk,
reorganize it and merge something back to the 2.3 branch.

Most docs have a 2_1 suffix, only few 2_2, none 2_3. I don't like too
much the suffix solution to documentation versioning. My proposal would
be to remove the version name from the filenames and eventually backup
old versions in subfolders. The last generate site should document the
last official release.

You know, we actually have discussed all of this and have the plan.  The
only thing missing has been someone doing the work with Ant.  Danny was
going to do it initially, and he's had no time.

Sorry but I have not found the right thread looking in the mailing list archives about this topic and the svn history didn't help understanding it was not merged back intentionally.

I'd like we reach a consensus on what to do so I can updated the
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JAMES-432

We deliberately setup the site project, and should should move the web site
xdocs to there.  We are supposed to split the site docs from the version
specific project docs, so that each release would have its own place on the
site.

What are the advantages of keeping the xdocs on a different project? I would prefer to split it in a separate module if we move to maven2 multiproject setup, otherwise I think we should start creating some of the xdocs automatically from the mailet javadocs, something else automatically from jira changelog, and so on...

Btw the site project is anyway of help because we can generate the website from time to time and commit the new version over the previous one, so, apart xdocs, we also have a "generated" changelog. I simply didn't understand anything seeing changes in html and not it the xdocs file that generated them. Have you a local xdocs or you started changing directly the html? I still didn't get it...

For example, you just merged it back into trunk.  So how does that in any
way help with the next release?

I thought we first should fix it in trunk, when we reach a good setup we backport to 2.3.

If necessary, I suppose that until we fix the Ant scripts, we could define
an svn:external reference to bring the site trunk into the build tree.

IIRC I read Noel being contrary to maven generated sites.

Absolutely!  You can pretty much put it down as maven in general, and most
especially maven generated sites.

        --- Noel

Ok, I understood your opinion, but I would also like to know why ;-) I'm sure it's not the name "maven" you dislike...

Btw if you already voted about some sort of roadmap for the xdocs can you point me to the correct thread/wiki/other information so I can try to fix this issue?

Stefano