Sorry to come so late to the discussion.  I've been trying to set aside
more time to get back into the open-source projects I'm apart of but
other things keep coming up that require my time.

HausMail is ASLv2.0.  It is not LGPL.  Never has been.  I wrote a
distributed locking manager for JAMES a while ago that was LGPL.  The
LGPL DLM is out on Source Forge somewhere but it has a number of issues
and I think there's a better way to solve the clustering problem in
JAMES but that's a discussion for a different thread.

The code that's in HausMail is essentially a MINA based SMTP server-side
protocol handler.  There is a lot of Java 5 code in there (enums and
generics) that may have to be refactored.  There is also some
experimental code in HausMail that needs to be tested/cleaned up.

In all honesty, I'm more inclined to contribute the SMTP server code in
HausMail to the MINA project.  One of the motivating factors in me
writing the HausMail code was because I needed something that could
receive SMTP message but I didn't need a full mail server.  I also
wanted something that was much more embeddable than what JAMES is today.
The other motivation for adding it to MINA is that there has been talk
on the MINA list to adding some protocol implementations to the MINA
project.

The HausMail code seems welcome at the MINA project.  I need to dedicate
the time to get it moved over there and coordinate with Peter Royal and
Trustin Lee.  Does such a move make sense for the JAMES project?  I
think it does but that may only be my opinion.  Either way, I'm more
than happy to help get the code in HausMail into JAMES.  I just think it
makes more since to put the code in MINA and have JAMES use that code.

WDYT?

-Mike