Danny Angus schrieb:
>> regards
>> >
>> > the current API design is flawed: this is just one way to fix it.
>>
>> Let me better approach this discussion: what is your knowledge of the
>> whole james code (in particular the smtpserver/handler), how it changed
>> in 2.3.0, how it changed in trunk, then in the 2 experimental branches
>> and now in the handlerapi-experiment?
>
> The handler api may or may not be OK for SMTP, but there is no reason
> at all why it should be suitable for any other protocol because it was
> designed to allow flexibility in the configuration of SMTP in general
> and fast fail in particular.
>
> I haven't seen *any* designs or design dicussions which talk about
> change to the handler api apart from your experiment. There is no
> reason why your experiment is any more valid than Roberts proposals

I think our goal is to share as most handler-api code as possible. So
why we should not try to create an handler-api which fit all needs
(POP3,IMAP,SMTP....) ?
In SMTP it is called fastfail but there are also needs for plugin
"hooks" in POP3 or other protocols. For the POP-Before-SMTP stuff. I
modifed the core POP3 handler in trunk to let it work. With a pluggable
hook api i had manage this by hook in the right code ;-)

> .
>

>> Personally I value a good set of working code much more than any
>> discussion about messaging api vs method/interface oriented (OOP) api.
>
> Thats is only your view but remember that there are many of us who
> would rather have a designed solution which takes all the requirements
> into consideration and builds upon solid OOA/OOD principles than "the
> first thing that works".
>

>> I think our main layers are
>> 1) Protocol handling
>> 2) Message processing
>> 3) Message storage
>
> +1
>

>> Most of the Joachim work is about the message storage.
>> Most of the protocol handling code, imho, can be made common between our
>> line based protocols (using the command pattern and maybe the memento
>> for the session, like you propose).
>>
>> Initially I thought this thread was about 3, while your diagrams seems
>> to me about 1: this is why I'm confused.
>
> There does seem to be a mix of the two responsibilities. But that
> isn't necessarily an issue with the design it may be that all that is
> needed is for the names to be made more generic (remove the word IMAP)
> and we would see how this design provides a POP/IMAP compliment to the
> SMTP handler api.
>
> d.

bye
Norman