Robert Burrell Donkin ha scritto:
On Sat, Sep 6, 2008 at 1:00 PM, Stefano Bagnara <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

<snip>

When we discussed this I thought you wanted to extract single module
libraries.

no

the other protocols are much less complex than IMAP so they would
probably start with a single module.
Istead imap is an almost complete imap server and not only a
protocol handling library.

a server also requires appropriate socket work. my vision was that a
protocol library could be used quickly and efficient to build a server
just by adding socket work and storage. IMHO there's definitely a gap
in the market for this kind of product.

I agree..

i admit that including a mailbox storage implementation with IMAP is a
slightly unconfortable expediency. the problem is that mailbox is not
a generic API and is hopelessly coupled to IMAP. experience has shown
that alternative implementations are not really possible. the internal
design is also completely wrong. fixing it will require a lot of work.

however, it is now a working IMAP server. once StartTLS is added into
the avalon sockets, it will be feature complete. AIUI IMAP is an
important feature for James 3.0. that's why i proposed cutting an IMAP
milestone from the current codebase before starting to rework mailbox
data access.

In case you forgot there is an useful patch from Pietro Romanazzi for the SMTPServer:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JAMES-290

Maybe this can be easily adapted to IMAP, too.

Stefano