I do not mean to rain on anyone's parade, but I do have one concern. I am running James on a VPS host with about 256 MB of memory, and right now James uses about 50 MB or so. I noticed from http://people.apache.org/builds/james/nightly/bin/ that the Spring version is twice as big as the Phoenix/Avalon version. I do not have a lot of memory to spare on my VPS account, and I would prefer not to upgrade (I am looking for a job and money is tight).

If James with Spring slows stuff down, I may have to look for something else to handle email. Maybe I am making a big deal out of nothing, but a cursory glance makes it appear that size may be an issue. Other than that: +1

Regards,
Eric MacAdie
Pronounced: muh-KAY-dee

Norman Maurer wrote:
Hi all,

as you all prolly know I tried to decouple james in the last couple of
weeks from phoenix / avalon as much as possible. This task is now
complete and James should "just work" within every container /
framework which understand howto handle jsr250 injections. I thought
about using OSGI + Karaf as container for James but I think that would
require many reorganisation within the code to get it work like it
should. So while using OSGI is prolly not the worst move to attract
more users / developers I'm still not 100 % sure if its really a good
idea at all.

At the moment I tend to just remove the Avalon-Guice Adapter classes
which I create for every component and let just handle spring the
injection stuff. The Log and Configuration injection will get done via
Spring by using a BeanPostProcessor (like its done in the current
spring-avalon-bridge).

So anyone against this "radical" move ?

Bye,
Norman

Ps: This would eliminate the use of Guice again too