Hi,

I finally made some tests with mina-rc2 trying to reproduce the oom.
I didn't succeed to reproduce it when stressing james with normal mails (well-formed,...).

I would tend to follow the pointer Norman gave about the infinite loop in the exceptionCaught() method (writing on the session recause and exception,...)
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/james/server/trunk/smtpserver/src/main/java/org/apache/james/smtpserver/mina/SMTPIoHandler.java?revision=930014&view=markup

I think that some sockets behaving badly may be the cause and tried to simulate this with long-time opened connection, with garbage being sent on the sockets,... without success (no exception).

I will now roolback to the previous version of SMTPIoHandler with james not closing the mina session, and see what I can find.

If you've got some idea of patterns, datas,... to send on the socket to make mina throw an exception, just post it.

Tks,

Eric