Yes, let's go this way (I will put some links in the initial GSoC JIRA).

Your exams first! You will have plenty of time when they will be finished :)

In first instance, I think you have to correctly have in hand the james mailbox implementations and the hbase api. mailbox-hbase implementation can happen just after the samples/tests you would do.

Tks,
- Eric