On 05/10/2012 09:18 PM, Ioan Eugen Stan wrote:
Hello Eric,

2012/5/10 Eric Charles<e...@apache.org>:
Hi Ioan,

Alternative solution could be servo [1].
I didn't look at jetm yet but there are probably others.

Took a quick look at servo, and has a lot of potential. It's very new
so a lot of people didn't hear about it. I'm going to get a look at
it, maybe I'll use it to re-factor some code for more clarity and add
other metrics.

Although MAILBOX-152 is created since long, I think it's worth to talk and
announce on mailing list when introducing such components. Everybody could
then propose alternative/better solutions.

You are right, but since nobody was against it and it required minimal
intrusion I decided to go for it.
I will be more verbose in the future.

Thx.

As a note, servo also requires to write some code while jetm doesn't
so it can be turned off pretty easily.

Servo needs annotations, which is not code, and the start of a server, which can be made optional by configuration.

JMX monitoring is more powerful than what jetm offers. If needed we
can provide jetm as an optional package since we can externalize it
into a config file and provide a special build profile to include it
so no harm done.

Whatever the solution, I favor JMX to gather the metrics.
Does Jetm support this?

Since this discussion is open, let's have a "poll" to see what other
monitoring solutions are there.
If you've  worked with something else please share yor experience.

Never used such framework on other projects.

Thanks,

Thx,

Eric

[1] http://techblog.netflix.com/2012/02/announcing-servo.html