This is a known UI problem.   If you wait until it is done searching
for a mesh portal the first time, it shouldn't happen.

You are wrong about its behavior with known APs.   The laptop always
searches for mesh portals.  If it doesn't find any, it then looks for
APs that it knows about.  If it finds one, it selects it.

I didn't find a trac ticket for this problem, and haven't
entered one.  I've still got a backlog of more severe
problems I'm trying to get entered...

wad