Rupert Young wrote:

What is the file james.sar, how is it created? It seems to be used when
James is run as a service. My config.xml is overwritten from it.

Regards,
Rupert

It is basically a zip-file (actually a jar-file) containing what is necessary to run James as an Avalon application. You can open it and create it with the jar utility in a Java SDK. If you rename it .zip, you should even be able to open it with WinZip.

About your config.xml getting overwritten, I cannot help. For me James has always worked perfectly as a service (only tried it on WindowsXP), and as a Linux daemon.

/tobe