Thanks for your advice Noel.

Today I upgraded from 2.1.2 to 2.2.0 and the results were as you predicted.

It seems the 2.2.0 version tries all the MX records it can find rather just
the first as in 2.1.2 (?) so I'm seeing much better results now.

Anyway.. The result is that I am now able to send to imray.co.uk (it tried 6
different addresses for depot.dial.pipex.com. before finally succeeding at
fallback.dial.pipex.com.).

Strange that I still seem to have problems with the AOL address I started
out with - but I can see that it tries a large number (16) of different mail
servers before giving up ("No mail server(s) available at this time") so at
least it seems to be working as well as possible from my end.    Bit tough
on AOL users waiting for mail though because this failure to deliver was
repeated 4 times and counting...

Thanks,

John Hornsby