FWIW, a related problem someone had (found via GOogle) directed me to the Xerces FAQ (http://xml.apache.org/xerces-j/faq-common.html#faq-5):

Q: I used to be able to use DOS filenames with the parser and now they don't work. Why not? A: DOS filenames are not legal URIs as required by the XML 1.0 specification. Therefore, it was an error for the parser to accept DOS filenames. This bug is now fixed. DOS filenames can be converted to legal URIs, however. For example, the DOS filename "c:\xerces\data\personal.xml" would become "file:///c:/xerces/data/personal.xml", which is a legal URI.

However, I suspect it might be in the Avalon configuraiton builder where it is turning things into filenames? I intend to look in the source and see, lest someone can come up with a better explanation sooner.

Regards,
Brian.