Von: Stefano Bagnara [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 19. Januar 2006 10:31
An: James Users List
Betreff: Re: AW: James dead?

Liebezeit, Bernhard (EXT) wrote:
> Hey Guys,
> Reading all of this makes me truly sad. I started with JAMES roughly two
> months ago - and even though you are maintining a good documentation it took
> me 2 month to figure out why I was not capable of starting up the server with
> the current JDK and and one of the first stable MySQL-NT 5.0 builds.

Have you asked for help in this mailing list?

Maybe your problem is related to the jdbc driver used: you need the
latest connector/J to connect to Mysql 5.

In 2.3.0 we will remove the mm.mysql driver from James because it had
issue with new mysql releases.

> Actually I intended to dig into development and contribute to. However,
> having anything done with Java/JSPs since three years, I had to learn that
> there is no strait way into the avalon framework, different logging
> mechanisms, different connection pooling adapters, etc. I must admit that I
> was truly a bit naïve thinking to start with developing extensions within a
> minute, especially considering the fact that I have no much free time at hand.

What would you like to contribute?

I can help with the avalon stuff: it takes a few to understand how
avalon works but it's really easy once you get it. It's not so different
from Spring.

> The point that I intend to make: I am able and willing to code, but in order
> to be able to design a specific part for JAMES I am in the lack of sufficient
> knowledge; and for my needs I did not find an appropriate compendium -
> searching the archive is fine, but cumbersome and often misleading when you
> are new to it. Please do not regard this as criticism - I am in software
> development for quit a while. I just wanted to submit a view from "outside"
> the community

In james there are avalon components binded by the container: you can
easily understand what the components are and how they are linked by
looking to the assembly.xml.

That file gives you a great view of the high level architecture.

If there are specific areas where you think you can contribute
(matcher/mailets/pop3/smtp/spooling/repositories) I can point you a
simple path to work on it.

> Best Regards
> Bernhard

Stefano