JWM wrote:
Stefano,

I really appreciate your help in this ordeal.

I copied your response to Register.  According them, RFCs are now simply
'suggestions'...  Is that true?  I thought they were already mandatory.

Well, there's no JAIL for not following RFCs, but RFC are the only specification around DNS/SMTP and this "old" internet protocols. BTW, not to kill is somewhat a suggestion, too.. you can "override" the rule, you just need a weapon :-).

The one thing that is still nagging at me is the fact that James is widely
used, and Register.com is not exactly a tiny outfit.  Yet I'm the only
person in the world having this problem (????).  According to what everyone
has said, it would seem EVERY instance of James in the world sending mail to
any domain hosted by Register.com would have the same problem.  I don't see
it.  I don't know any other domains offhand that are hosted by Register.
I'd love to find out that other mx records are actually correct at Register.

Sorry, I don't have domains hosted at register.com.

In the meantime, apparently two wrongs will have to make a right.  If you
could consider adding the incorrect implementation to deal with screwups
like Register, I'd appreciate it.

The only temporary solution I find now is:
<mailet match="HostIs=brandilyncollins.com" mailet="RemoteDelivery">
... standard remote delivery configuration (please note that you must use a different outgoing spool for each RemoteDelivery instance...
        <gateway>rcom-outblaze-com.mr.outblaze.com</gateway>
</mailet>

This will only fix THAT domain.

Sorry but I don't have currently the time to implement the CNAME stuff. Should anyone provide the needed patch, I'll review and commit it ASAP.

Stefano