Am Donnerstag, den 22.06.2006, 00:36 +0200 schrieb Stefano Bagnara:
> Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> > Stefano wrote:
> >
> >> testing 2 times 6 multihomed servers and do this things 15 times by
> >> default. In our default that single mail would result in 6*2*15 total
> >> attempts (180 attempts) each one keeping a thread busy for 10 minutes
> >> (1800 minutes, more than a whole thread day).
> >
> > That does not match the default delivery schedule.  6IP*2Server*10min is two
> > hours, and then there is a retry delay before we try again.  After the 4th
> > retry, the interval would be 3 hours, and the remaining are 6 hours up to 25
> > attempts.  So the worse case should have the thread tied up for 2 hours
> > (which I agree is not acceptable), and there should be large blocks of hours
> > where e-mail delivery for that message is not attempted.
>
> Yes, 2 hours each attempt. 15 attempts are 30 hours of thread time per
> each mail destinated to that domain.
> Yeah, *only* 2 hours before the other mails are processed, but take this
> scenario then:
>
> 10 mails for the "bad" host, 1 for the good host in this order.
> James try the first bad mail for 2 hours, then the second for 2 hours,
> then the third.... so on, for 20 hours,.. then it try the good one and
> deliver it (20 hours later!)
>
> So to increase the probability to deliver a mail soon to a bad host we
> delay the delivery time to the good host.
>
> > If this is not working as described, it is a bug.  Not a design flaw.
>
> It is working as described and imho is not a good thing. I would really
> prefer a better default (test all MX but only 1 IP per mx, much lower
> timeouts 30seconds on connect +3 minutes on session, 5 remote delivery
> threads).
>
> Btw I also patched RemoteDelivery to have a max MX servers to test
> configurable: I use 2 as my default.

Plz let us commit your patches about this ( configurable of course)

> Few domains uses a lot of different MX domains and this would return to
> the "bad" scenario we described.
>
> I also think that 15 attempts to deliver a single mail is too much as a
> default.
>
> Maybe we should put in our config 2 different RemoteDelivery: one "best
> effort" with good performance but less reliable and one with worst
> performance but better reliability.

Thats a good idea. BTW i think we should try to split the config.xml in
diffrent config files.. As more we add as more it gets more confusing
for new users

> >> 1800 thread minutes for a single mail as worst case default is not
> >> acceptable to me.
> >
> > With a 3 minute timeout, the worst case for your scenario should be 36
> > minutes before we reschedule the e-mail for later delivery.
>
> This would be too much anyway if you are sending 100000 mails and even
> if 1% of that mails are for the "bad" host.
>
> Maybe we should change our accept order policy: now we sort by
> last_updated. Maybe we should change it to sort by state then
> last_updated (getting first all the messages not in ERROR and then the
> one in ERROR). This way at least a first attempt should always be done
> with a grater priority than retries.

> Stefano

At the first moment that seems a good idea.. But after thought a bit
about it i think that can cause problems too! What will happen if we
have a very big mailload which inject many mails per seconds? This will
block delayed mail for the whole time. That is not good IMHO..

bye
Norman