I think I may have solved my own problem. In james 3.0-beta4 at the bottom
of wrapper.conf is this line:

wrapper.java.library.path=../lib

That seems to override the previous wrapper.java.library.path.1 and
wrapper.java.library.path.2 properties. I commented out that line and now
the jvm can indeed find the native libs.

Thanks,
Zach