Hi Robert,

Quoting Robert Munn <cfmuns...@gmail.com>:
I am deploying a new mail server on James/Windows and was wondering if
you think the support for WinMailDir is stable enough for a new
deployment. I don't need to migrate a pile of old mail, so it's really
just about stability of the running system. I can potentially debug
other issues, though I don't have a proper test bed to debug your
migration issue. I would prefer to run from the start with file-based
mailboxes.

I think it is still a long way from being able to be considered "stable": all there is right now is this patch, which is unfinished work-in-progress and has had very little serious testing. All I can say of it right now is that it has shown consistent handling of all the basic IMAP operations with single messages and folders, in the small number of tests I've performed. I don't see it scaling at all until all Windows file-handling weirdness is ironed out.

I can also confirm the Thunderbird issue you saw. I am seeing multiple
copies of mail in the Sent folder when sending from Thunderbird. No
issues with WIndows Live Mail, OSX Mail, Pegasus Mail, Incredimail, or
the Android mobile email client.

I don't recall having an issue with sent copies ... although funnily enough I think I *have* seen that happen with Tbird and a different server (dovecot).

Please let me know how I can help.

Robert

If you want to try the patch (and subsequent versions I'll post on the JIRA) please let me know how it goes and report any errors you get in your logs (certainly imapserver.log at any rate). Right now I am interested in scalability issues, but if you don't have a large message corpus to muck about with then so be it (collecting spam for a day or two usually gives me enough...).

With the client apps you mentioned above I wasn't sure if you meant you tried these with my patch; if so that's great to hear, as testing different clients is something I'll find harder to do a lot of in my context.

Any critique or ideas about how to go about stuff is of course very welcome too :)

Thanks,
Robin Banhead