After following the instructions I could find on generating a key and
configuring TLS/SSL for SMTP in James 2.3, I encountered no configuration
errors in logs; however, every time I try to connect to the port securely
the connection hangs and, eventually, the server log shows an error and
claims connection termination from the client.  I'm wondering if I've
missed something.  Firewalls are totally open... the connection establishes
but hangs.

And, the other question I have is... given a CSR for a cert for a domain,
in this case wildcard, what's the best type of cert to request for use with
James 2.3?

Apache2
Apache+OpenSSL
Apache+ApacheSSL