Thanks, Robert.

I did use the keytool as documented here in creating your own certificate
keystore:

http://james.apache.org/server/3/config-ssl-tls.html

-- which I realize is for version 3 presume it holds to 2.3

keytool -genkey -alias james -keyalg RSA -keystore your_keystore_filename

...and I remember entering the passwords and entered them in the
config.xml file for ssl configuration.  I got this wrong initially and
james wouldn't even start up.

It starts up with no problem and indicates ssl is configured on the proper
port.

I'm wondering if this is a tls version thing.

When I connected originally I tried openssl s_client -connect ip:port
-state

Here's the results of openssl connection attempt:

[root@ip-10-167-12-205 SAR-INF]# openssl s_client -connect localhost:25
-state -tls1
CONNECTED(00000003)
SSL_connect:before/connect initialization
SSL_connect:SSLv3 write client hello A
SSL3 alert read:fatal:internal error
SSL_connect:failed in SSLv3 read server hello A
140461473093448:error:14094438:SSL routines:SSL3_READ_BYTES:tlsv1 alert
internal error:s3_pkt.c:1197:SSL alert number 80
140461473093448:error:1409E0E5:SSL routines:SSL3_WRITE_BYTES:ssl handshake
failure:s3_pkt.c:594:
---
no peer certificate available
---
No client certificate CA names sent
---
---
New, (NONE), Cipher is (NONE)
Secure Renegotiation IS NOT supported
Compression: NONE
Expansion: NONE
SSL-Session:
    Protocol  : TLSv1
    Cipher    : 0000
    Session-ID:
    Session-ID-ctx:
    Master-Key:
    Key-Arg   : None
    Krb5 Principal: None
    PSK identity: None
    PSK identity hint: None
    Start Time: 1381886891
    Timeout   : 7200 (sec)
    Verify return code: 0 (ok)
---
[root@ip-10-167-12-205 SAR-INF]#

Without TLS1 I get:

[root@ip-10-167-12-205 SAR-INF]# openssl s_client -connect localhost:25
-state
CONNECTED(00000003)
SSL_connect:before/connect initialization
SSL_connect:SSLv2/v3 write client hello A
SSL3 alert read:fatal:internal error
SSL_connect:error in SSLv2/v3 read server hello A
139934735300424:error:14077438:SSL routines:SSL23_GET_SERVER_HELLO:tlsv1
alert internal error:s23_clnt.c:674:
---
no peer certificate available
---
No client certificate CA names sent
---
---
New, (NONE), Cipher is (NONE)
Secure Renegotiation IS NOT supported
Compression: NONE
Expansion: NONE
---

Any help would be greatly appreciated... On a crunch here.

Jan