Hi Jerry,

What is the UID VALIDITY associated with a given mailbox name before and
after your migration?

If the UID VALIDITY is different, then the IMAP client will assume the
two mailboxes are different and will attempt a whole download once
again, which is a really lengthy process, and implies dropping all the
emails downloaded before.

This is due to an historical lack of truely immutable identifiers in
IMAP, a point that this RFC addresses:

 - RFC-8474 IMAP Extension for Object Identifiers

MAILBOXID: a unique identifier for a mailbox, stands for the mailbox
name + UID validity pair

EMAILID: unique identifier for an email

If I'm right a good way to mitigate your production issue is to enforce
the UID validity is the same before & after the migration, and hope your
client apps did not all drop their cache.

Cheers,

Benoit