Jerry,

Where are you getting the updated 3.4 source or binary?
I cloned the git repository.  That seems like it is 3.5 (the next version)
I did not see an active branch for 3.4 with bug fixes.

I have used james in the past and I don't remember having this much trouble
getting it going. I tasked one of my employees with getting james going and
he told me it did not work and reverted to using postfix. I wanted to use
james because we are a java shop and will need to write maillets for
processing the email. I wasted a full day messing around with this and got
nowhere.

-Mark