Answers inlined,

Regards,

Benoit

On 30/10/2019 11:37, Jerry Malcolm wrote:
> "enableVirtualHosting" is another config parameter that's set in this
> same method.  So I decided to search around and see where that is set.
> I found it, and just taking a wild guess, is this correct?

Maybe we need to further explain this.

When virtual hosting is enabled, usernames are composed of a local part
and a domain part. al...@domain.tld and al...@company.org are two
distinct users, with different login and distinct mailboxes. Creating a
user without domain part is forbidden.

When virtual hosting is turned of, usernames are only composed of a
local part. All domains handled by James (check domain list) can be used
as domain part of their mail address. al...@domain.tld and
al...@company.org are two mail address belonging to a same "alice" user,
with same login and mailboxes. Creating users with domain parts is
forbidden.

I will add the following indication within the documentation as it might
get really useful to understand this. Thanks for highlighting this weak
point!

> <usersrepository name="LocalUsers"
> class="org.apache.james.user.jpa.JPAUsersRepository">
>     <algorithm>MD5</algorithm>

Try more secure algorithms, you should give a go to SHA-512.

We should update default configuration accordingly as MD5 hashing is not
acceptable.

>     <enableVirtualHosting>true</enableVirtualHosting>
> <administratorid>ad...@myhost.com</administratorid>
> </usersrepository>
>
> This took a whole lot of digging to figure out.  I really think the
> default usersrepository.xml should have at least commented-out lines
> defining where/how to set the administrator id.

I would be glad to have you contribute this!