I found the root cause of the logging for me... James 3.3 & 3.4 is still
using log4j (version 1) that's EOL in 2015 [1] which is really broken with
Java 9+ [2].  I'm using JDK 11 :(  I'll have to replace the log4j (v1)
jar(s) with log4j2 add see if it works.

[1] http://logging.apache.org/log4j/1.2/
[2] https://blogs.apache.org/logging/entry/moving_on_to_log4j_2