On 04/02/2013 01:02 PM, serguei.spit...@oracle.com wrote:
On 4/1/13 3:51 PM, Coleen Phillimore wrote:

On 04/01/2013 06:02 PM, serguei.spit...@oracle.com wrote:
On 4/1/13 1:09 PM, Coleen Phillimore wrote:

Hi Serguei,

Sorry for the delay in reviewing this.

In instanceKlass.cpp line 2730, can you make that mtClass since it's part of class metadata?

Fixed.
Thank you for the catch!

In methodHandles.cpp, I think the whole member name table mechanism could be protected by #if INCLUDE_JVMTI since it's not needed unless you have jvmti built in the vm. And you don't need to call add_method_handle() or just have it do JVMTI_RETURN or something for the minimal vm.

My understanding was that John is considering to use the
MemberNameTable in the future for the compilation purposes.
However, I can temporarily place it under #if INCLUDE_JVMTI
until the compiler team decides what to do with it.

Also, I think you should consider a global table rather than one per class. I think we discussed this and may have decided that speed of adding these is important, but depending on how many are actually used per class, there's one pointer per class.

I thought we've reached a consensus and decided to add MNT pointer
per class as it is performance sensitive for indy calls.
Anyway, before changing it to a hashtable I'd want to hear from John and Christian first.

Definitely would like to hear from John and Christian. We did discuss it but I wasn't totally convinced this field is more important than the others that were going to be moved out of Klass* to make it smaller. Some statistics for some sample applications like eclipse would be great.

I'm not sure what statistics do you mean here.
Do you mean a footprint or performance statistics?

As I understand from our previous discussion there can be a more general solution for the footprint issue.
As such we could attack the footprint problem separately.

Yes, there are more general solutions to the footprint issue. One would be moving these JVMTI fields and initializing them lazily and there are other footprint improvements. One additional improvement would be to remove this field which will be mostly zero and put this in a hashtable and not allocate it per class.

For instance, we could separate all JVMTI fields from InstanceKlass and initialize them lazily.
But I'd not want to go deep into this discussion.
You do not want me to get involved into the footprint work, do you? :)

Also, the decision how to represent the MNT depends on its future usage by the compiler team.
As we agreed, the compiler team is going to adjust the MNT to their needs
at some point when it is more convenient for them.
So that, could we make a final decision when the whole picture is ready?
It would be better to approach it in some steps.
Currently, this bug blocks other work on the JVMTI support of jsr-292.

I don't know what the jsr 292 team has in store for this field but it's still a footprint cost that's for only a special case. So this is okay if you file a bug so that we can remove it and reimplement this table to be global or a hashtable.

Coleen

Thanks,
Serguei

Coleen

Maybe they could be organized as a hashtable instead like the method handle intrinsics?

The code itself looks good everywhere, except for the concern about footprint.

I very appreciate you found a time to review it!
There are not many people having an expertize in this area.

Thanks,
Serguei

Thanks,
Coleen