Mattias,

1. mkFiles at ll. 215 above is reluctant

2. if you wish to store id output and grep the file it's better to do
something like:

id > $HOME/jdb.ini
chmod a-r $HOME/jdb.ini
grep -q 'uid=0(' $HOME/jdb.ini 2> /dev/null
case $? in
 0)
   echo "Can't make file unreadable running as root"
 ;;
 1)
   echo "Can't make file unreadable for some other reason"
   ;;
 2)
   if [ -f $HOME/jdb.ini ]
   then
     echo "OK. the file is unreadable"
   else
     echo "Can't create a file"
   fi
  ;;
esac

-Dmitry

--
Dmitry Samersoff
Oracle Java development team, Saint Petersburg, Russia