On 2016-02-23 16:54, Coleen Phillimore wrote:

On 2016-02-23 00:53, Coleen Phillimore wrote:

On 2/22/16 6:46 PM, Daniel D. Daugherty wrote:
Just noticed that this thread did not include the Serviceability
aliases... JVM/TI belongs to the Serviceability team so...

Dan

On 2/22/16 4:44 PM, Daniel D. Daugherty wrote:
On 2/22/16 1:28 PM, Coleen Phillimore wrote:

This fix looks good. The test looks like it uses some framework I don't know, in a directory that I don't usually run tests in.

We have some redefinition tests in hotspot/test/runtime/RedefineTests - can you write one with source code there instead?

The redefine tests in the runtime directory are in the wrong place.

The tests in the runtime directory test runtime changes to support redefinition primarily, so are in the right place. They are run with JPRT -testset hotspot. They don't use these other frameworks intentionally.

JVM/TI RedefineClasses() is a debugging API and jdk/test/com/sun/jdi
is the usual place for JDI tests that exercise RedefineClasses(). If
the test is using the Java entry points (JLI/JPLIS), then those tests belong in jdk/test/java/lang/instrument. Of course, if the test needs
to use to JDWP entry point for JVM/TI RedefineClasses(), then those
tests live in yet another location.

Can you or someone from serviceability team review this test then? I have no idea what it does and would prefer a test more tailored to testing the JVM functionality than jdb commands.

Hi,

I'll try creating a hotspot only test, but I'm not sure how to reproduce this without using jdb.

- Andreas

Looks like creating a hotspot only test is difficult, the problem only causes obvious problems (a crash) on code paths taken when using JDI/JDB (or JVMTI directly).

Given that the serviceability team have reviewed this I'll go ahead and push this with the test as-is unless you object.

This is fine.  I'm glad someone reviewed the test.

Coleen

Great, thanks.
Also, I closed the bug you linked as a duplicate.

- Andreas

Thanks,
Andreas

Thanks,
Coleen
Dan

I linked an old bug to this, can you see if they are the same?

Thanks,
Coleen