On 23/06/2016 6:04 PM, serguei.spit...@oracle.com wrote:
On 6/23/16 00:51, Alan Bateman wrote:

On 23/06/2016 00:20, serguei.spit...@oracle.com wrote:
:

I agree with it.
Thank you for pointing to this JVMTI example.
I did not find in the JNI where the names are checked to be legal.
We are going to open a can of worms with this kind of check as there
can be many corner cases to cover.
The primary use-case for this function is from within the CLFH
callback so have it return the unnamed module when calling with garage
is probably okay, it just needs to be specified.

Will you update the webrev to reflect where we've got to this in this
discussion?

I need to undo my fix for additional check.
My up-to-date understanding is that we have to explicitly specify two
points:
  - the function returns the unnamed module if the package does not exist
  - the function does not check the package names for validness and
always returns the unnamed module for illegal package names

It is better to specify these points explicitly to avoid possible
confusion.

I don't agree - nothing else refers to invalid "names" in JVM TI. I don't see any need to call this out here. If the name supplied is not a legal package name then it will not match - end of story.

Cheers,

Serguei

-Alan