Hi TJ,

On 1/05/2017 10:22 AM, TJ Fontaine wrote:
Hey,

I’ve attached a version rebased on jdk10, it also (currently) applies cleanly
to jdk9.

I have filed:

and have hosted your patch at:

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~dholmes/8179498/webrev/

I find it a little confusing understanding when we need to use pid and when we need to use ns_pid. IIUC the client VM doing the attach should use the "global" pid in the /proc path but name the file with the ns_pid as seen by the target VM - correct? And the query "what is my pid" will actually return the ns_pid - correct?

345 // TODO XXX friggin old kernels may not have NSpid field (i.e. 3.10)
 346         // fallback to original pid in the event we cannot deduce

:) Suggest:

// If no NSpid field found assume no namespace and fallback to original pid

Overall the approach seems reasonable, but I can't validate the operational details. Lets see what others have to say.

While there is no supplied test or harness for this patch, how I built and
tested is
available at https://github.com/tjfontaine/jdkbuild (there’s also a preview of
my
follow on patch for pathmap_open as well).

The lack of testability is somewhat of a concern. We can of course test that it works okay when the namespace is not present, but can't verify it works as you intend.

And of course this doesn't help with Docker containers running under earlier versions of the Linux kernel.

Thanks!

TJ

On 4/28/17, 3:47 PM, "serviceability-dev on behalf of TJ Fontaine"