Hi Karen and David,

On 2/20/18 19:52, David Holmes wrote:
Hi Karen,

On 21/02/2018 1:54 AM, Karen Kinnear wrote:
Folks,

As part of the Valhalla EG discussions for JVMTI changes for nestmates (thank you Serguei and David),
IBM brought up a request that we update the JVMTI documentation to reflect that we allow addition
of private methods.

Is there a reason we do not document this? I’m inviting those who were involved at the time - please include
others if needed.

I support documenting this in the JVMTI spec and had a plan to fix it in 11.
However, it is not clear to me yet if we have a consensus on it.

This issue is tracked by:

"RI does not follow the JVMTI RedefineClasses spec that is too strict in the definition"

Yes, this is the one.
Thank you, David, for posting the link.

As I wrote there ... It is not at all clear how JDK-6404550 morphed into "Permit the adding or deleting of private final/static methods with redefine" - nor why those changes failed to make any change to the spec itself. It is also unclear whether the add/delete is restricted to final/static methods or any private method? I can see that the intent was to only allow something that would not perturb the vtable for existing instances.

I agree, there is a confusion somewhere.
Is it possible, the JDK-6404550 in JIRA is a different bug than the one in the Bugtraq system?

The JDK-6404550 in JIRA has a different synopsis:
     Cannot implement late attach in NetBeans Profiler due to missing functionality in JVMTI

Thanks,
Serguei

thanks,
Karen